Arnold Schwarzenegger is one of the most iconic figures in Hollywood. His on-screen presence and larger-than-life persona have made him one of the most recognizable celebrities in the world. But what many people don’t know is that Schwarzenegger is more than just an actor; Arnold Schwarzenegger is also a devoted family man, successful businessman and philanthropist.
This article will take a look at Arnold Schwarzenegger’s movie career, his children and the events that have shaped his life. From his humble beginnings in Austria to his rise to fame in Hollywood, Arnold Schwarzenegger’s story is truly inspiring. We will also look at his philanthropic efforts, which have helped countless people around the world. So join us as we take a closer look at the life and times of Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Early Life & Career of Arnold Schwarzenegger in Austria
Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger was born in the Austrian town of Thal on July 30, 1947. His father Gustav Schwarzenegger was a police officer in the nearby town of Graz, while his mother was Aurelia Schwarzenegger, a housewife. Growing up in the small town of Thal, Arnold Schwarzenegger was a mischievous child who loved playing pranks on his family and exploring the outdoors.
Arnold Schwarzenegger was a studious child, however, and worked hard to get good grades. This, combined with his natural athletic abilities, earned him the nickname “The Austrian Oak”, which was inspired by the name of a famous English oak tree located at the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Grounds.
At the age of 18, Arnold Schwarzenegger was awarded a scholarship to the University of Wisconsin-Superior, where Arnold Schwarzenegger studied Economics and Chemistry. While at the university, Arnold Schwarzenegger started participating in bodybuilding competitions, and quickly became a rising star in the sport.
Arnold Schwarzenegger won many competitions, and in 1967, Arnold Schwarzenegger was crowned Mr. Universe, which made him the youngest person ever to win the title. His success on the bodybuilding circuit soon caught the attention of the movie industry.
In 1969, Schwarzenegger made his film debut in the documentary of the Mr. Universe competition, titled “Mr. Universe”. This was followed by his first feature film role in “Herrn Schmidt, der Meister des Kung Fu”.
Arnold Schwarzenegger Rise To Stardom in Hollywood
In 1972, Arnold Schwarzenegger made his breakthrough appearance in “Hercules in New York”, which was a black-and-white parody of the famous Hercules movies. In the same year, Arnold Schwarzenegger made his first appearance in “Stay Hungry”, which was produced by the famous actor and director, the late Robert Evans.
Evans was so impressed by Arnold Schwarzenegger’s acting skills that he cast him in the movie “The Last Action Hero” which was released in 1993 and was a box office success. In 1977, Arnold Schwarzenegger starred in the movie “Pumping Iron”, which was a documentary about the world of bodybuilding.
It was a huge hit, and made him one of the most famous celebrities in the world. Arnold Schwarzenegger followed this up with his first breakthrough role in the action genre in “Conan the Barbarian”, which Arnold Schwarzenegger starred in alongside the famous actress, Tina Turner.
The movie was released in 1982 and grossed over $100 million at the box office. It also earned Arnold Schwarzenegger his first Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor.
Children of Arnold Schwarzenegger
Arnold Schwarzenegger has two children with his first wife, the renowned Austrian author and journalist, Maria Shriver. Their son, Patrick, was born in August 18, 1989, while their daughter, Christina, was born in December of the same year.
The couple got married on July 26, 1986, in a lavish ceremony that was attended by many of Hollywood’s most famous celebrities. In May 2011, Schwarzenegger and Shriver announced that they were separating after a 25-year marriage.
A few months later, in July 2011, Shriver filed for divorce. The couple’s split was a major media event and was covered by the press for many months. In May 2011, Schwarzenegger had an affair with the household staff member, Mildred Patricia Baqle-Zavala, who was married with three children.
The Movies That Made Him a Legend
- Predator – In 1987, Arnold Schwarzenegger starred in the action film, Predator. The movie was a major success at the box office, earning over $98 million, and it also received positive reviews from critics. Predator was nominated for two Academy Awards, including Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing. – The Terminator – In 1984, Schwarzenegger starred in the science fiction action movie, The Terminator.
- Schwarzenegger played a cyborg that was sent back in time to kill a woman named Sarah Connor who would eventually give birth to the leader of a human resistance against the machines in the future. The film was a commercial success, earning over $78 million at the box office.
- The Terminator was nominated for three Academy Awards, including Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing and Best Visual Effects. – Total Recall – In 1990, Schwarzenegger starred in the science fiction film, Total Recall.
- The movie was a remake of the sci-fi short story, “We Can Remember It for You Wholesale”, which was written by Philip K. Dick. The film was a commercial success, earning over $261 million at the box office. Total Recall was nominated for one Academy Award, for Best Sound Mixing.
Major Events in Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Life
- The Breakup of his First Marriage – Schwarzenegger’s first marriage to Shriver ended in dramatic fashion. In May 2011, the couple announced that they were separating after 25 years of marriage.
- Three months later, in July 2011, Shriver filed for divorce. The couple’s split was a major media event and was covered by the press for many months. – The Birth of His Fifth Child – In July 2011, Schwarzenegger became a father for the fifth time after his former housekeeper, Mildred Baqle-Zavala, gave birth to a boy.
- The boy was named after Baqle-Zavala’s late husband and Schwarzenegger’s longtime friend, Carlos. – His Political Career – In 2003, Schwarzenegger made a successful bid for the governorship of California.
- His political career, however, ended just as quickly as it began. During his term as governor, Schwarzenegger gained worldwide attention after he proposed a series of reforms to the state’s education system, including the abolition of teacher tenure, a reduction in staff-to-student ratios in schools and the introduction of more standardized testing.
Business Ventures of Arnold Schwarzenegger
Arnold Schwarzenegger has always been a successful businessman and entrepreneur. In addition to his movie career, Schwarzenegger has also been a model, a commercial and voice-over actor as well as a politician. Schwarzenegger has also been involved in various business ventures. In 2010, Schwarzenegger became the co-owner of the World Famous Gold’s Gym.
While Schwarzenegger is an investor in the company, he does not have any operational role in the company. In 2013, Schwarzenegger started a company called the Signtron. It is a company that develops electronic signature technology.
Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Philanthropic Efforts
Arnold Schwarzenegger is one of the most successful and popular figures on the world stage of celebrity philanthropy, and he has been actively involved in supporting a variety of charitable organizations for decades. Schwarzenegger has donated generously to many charities, particularly those that provide support for people with disabilities.
In 1997, Schwarzenegger started the After-School All-Stars program, which is an organization that provides educational and recreational activities for children. In 2003, Schwarzenegger created the Sports Endeavors (SE) program, which is a program that focuses on using sports as a means to inspire young people to succeed in life.
Schwarzenegger also created the Special Olympics program, which is a sports program that provides athletic training and competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.
Arnold Schwarzenegger is a true Hollywood icon. His larger-than-life persona, on-screen presence and success as an actor and businessman have made him one of the most recognizable celebrities in the world.
From his humble beginnings in Austria to his rise to fame in Hollywood, Schwarzenegger’s story is truly inspiring. We will also look at his philanthropic efforts, which have helped countless people around the world. Join us as we take a closer look at the life and times of Schwarzenegger.